Saturday, March 6, 2010

Vegan BBQ "Wings"


I am not going to pretend like this recipe is revolutionary, it doesn't take a lot of creativity or know how to say "hey I bet this would taste good with BBQ sauce". It is probably also not low fat, or low calorie....but it is very yummy, vegan, packed with protein, and it was a great addition to our game night last night. I will for sure keep this recipe in mind next time we have mixed company*. It was so simple to make, and I'm actually quite ashamed of how much of this came out of a box or bottle, but I served it up with some steamed veggies and brown rice, so I think that makes up for it.


The "Wings"

1 package of seitan (drained)
4 tbs vegan "butter"
5 cloves crushed garlic
Tabasco sauce

The sauce
1/2 cup Amy's Organics sweet and spicy BBQ sauce (or sauce of preference)
Cayenne to taste

Melt the "butter" over medium heat and add a few dashes of Tabasco. When the butter is fully melted add the seitan and brown on both sides. Lower the heat to medium low and add the garlic, cook for a few minutes more, until the garlic has lost a little of it's bite. In a separate bowl mix the BBQ sauce, and cayenne. Toss the cooked seitan in the sauce until coated.



*For us mixed company indicates a gathering of vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores. I think this recipe would be received well by all.

2 comments:

  1. ok mama please enlighten me, usually I can keep up with your vegan/vegetarian vocab but I indeed do not know what seitan is. I guess I could google it, but then you wouldnt know I didnt know. or something.regardless, sounds and looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seitan is sometimes called "wheat meat", because it is made from wheat gluten. It has a very chewy texture, and is often used in Chinese restaurants (at least that is where I have seen it) as a duck substitute. :) It is expensive, but worth having once in a while. Super happy that I could help you discover Seitan, makes my day. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...