Sunday, March 14, 2010

The events that led to my hysterical breakdown in Starbucks


No recipe today, just a picture of some nummy tacos filled with refried beans, cheese, avocado, and spinach. I'll probably be posting a recipe for lentil and potato tacos in the near future...so stay tuned for that.

As I write this I must say I am feeling much better. I am not going to say that tacos are better for depression than Prozac*, but to my knowledge there are no studies that prove otherwise.

When the weather warms up I start to feel bitter, the fire ants start coming out from their winter hiding places to seek and devour me, I start to sweat even more than I do in the winter, and I develop a lovely sun rash upon any exposed skin. From my unsuitableness for hot weather the bitterness starts to turn to loathing, which turns to sadness, which turns into a minor breakdown at Starbucks**, because of an image of a cherry blossom which reminds me that I have friends in Maryland enjoying the cherry blossom festival, which reminds me that they are not here, which reminds me that three very good friends have left me, which in turn becomes the longest run on sentence in the history of blogdom. Hormones may have had something to do with it as well...

What does that all have to do with tacos and a package of cookies?? Well my Grandma is kind of famous for her tacos, and they always bring back good memories of home. Also the whole family loves them and that's a plus. As far as the cookies go, last year my Grandpa died, and I was so sad because I was stuck over here while my family and friends were growing older and dying. There wasn't much to be done about it at the time, we had just spent 5,000 dollars on a new A.C. so it wasn't as if I could catch the next flight for the coast. I remember remarking to my husband that what I really needed was a hug, and some cookies. He gave me a hug as we had no cookies on hand. The next day a package arrived on the doorstep, it was a box of cookies from our H.V.A.C provider, a thank you for choosing them. There was no way for them to know how much those cookies were appreciated, in fact they were probably sent out before even I knew how much I needed them. The point being, my need/want, no matter how small or silly was met, and when I start to get depressed about living here I think of those cookies and smile, knowing that my needs will be met, even 3000 miles away from my BFF. I am so blessed to have a hubby who I adore, who treats me with such kindness, and two beautiful kids who fill each day with adventure and joy. So now you know, a belly full of tacos, and a heart full of thanks is what cures homesickness.

*please don't stop taking medication to take on an all taco diet...I don't like being sued

**I was only at Starbucks because it was a Sunday, please support your local coffee shop. There are a lot of great ones out there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the hard times being so far away from friends and family, and about the loss of your Grandfather... Sending big sympathy hugs... I'm so glad you have tacos to cheer you up - and what gorgeous tacos they are, too!

    P.S. It's OK, sometimes we go to Starbucks on Sunday too... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...