Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Easy Vegan Spanish Rice




Hello, miss me? I missed you, truly, wholly, and completely. I am feeling...meh....ok, but ok is a marked improvement from miserable so I'll take it. What did I do when I started feeling better you may ask? Clean the bathrooms? Wash the windows? Do the laundry? Of course not! I made muffins, I will post that recipe soon.

For now though, I wanted to share with you a super easy recipe for Spanish rice that is a favorite among the wee members of our household. There is a recipe for Spanish rice that has been passed down through the generations in our family.........and this is not it (sorry Dad). That recipe involves el pato, and I believe lard.....and it has a little kick to it. My daughter doesn't like kicks. So this is what I have been making. To my knowledge a lot of Spanish rice recipes use oil and are vegan, and I've never come across a recipe that is too difficult, so while this could probably also be called "pretty much like every other Spanish rice you have ever had" I thought "Easy Vegan Spanish Rice" had a much nicer ring to it....don't you? You can use brown rice, I have in the past. The cook time will be longer, but it will still be just as tasty. My wonderful husband has been doing more than his share this past week, including the grocery shopping. I used what we had in the cupboard, white rice, cooking times will reflect that.


2 tbs oil
1 diced onion
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 cup uncooked rice
5 cloves garlic that have been peeled and finely chopped
1 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1 can worth of veg stock, or corn stock*
garlic salt and salt to taste

Heat the oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat.

Add the onion, chili powder, oregano, salt, and cook for about two minutes.

Add the rice and chopped garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. The Onion should be tender and the rice should start to become a golden color. Stir to keep the garlic from burning.

Lower the heat to medium low and stir in the tomatoes and stock. Stir to prevent tomatoes from burning.

Bring to a light simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until all of the liquid is gone.

Remove from heat and add salt and garlic salt to taste.

I've also been known to add bell pepper, corn, cayenne for heat, spinach and jalapeno. This is quite lovely when served with refried beans and grilled veggies (bell peppers, onion, mushroom etc). Pile it all into a tortilla for a fantastic burrito that is full of flavor and dairy free.


*When I buy stock I like to buy it in boxes. You'll not find (to my knowledge) corn stock in the stores, but I keep some in my freezer. Simply pour stock into the empty tomato tin and voila one can worth of veg stock. :)

5 comments:

  1. I've missed you. Although, I haven't been blogging much either.

    Awesome recipe! P likes rice in any way. I think I'll try this sometime. I am waiting on the muffin recipe though..I love muffins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you too but I have to admit that I haven't been faithful this week in getting around and reading blogs. My time has been being spent in other areas.
    This looks like a good recipe. I have never been a fan of Spainish Rice in the past because it was fixed with tomato sauce and jalepno peppers in it and I thought "Not for me"
    I'll try this one.
    New discovery: When you put coconut milk in a jar and put it in the fridge it takes on this whip cream like look. I added it to my coffee and I felt very exotic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I hope you like it. Maybe you can help me with my muffin recipe. It is yummy, but not fantastic.

    Grace,
    Love the new discovery thanks so much for sharing! I'll be trying that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally have been making almost this exact rice lately. I add corn alot and last night I added kidney beans and some roasted bell peppers and called it red beans and rice, it was yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks way yummy!! I found a recipe in one of my magazines on how to make corn stock!!! Of course, I discovered the recipe after corn season! Ha! But I know for next year!!! I'll have to find it for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...