Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cranberry Chutney in the Crock Pot/Slow Cooker




I used organic produce for this. I am only specifying because choosing organic makes me better than you.......HA......I'm totally kidding.......please don't leave me*. Organic fruits and veg are sometimes smaller than their conventional counterparts. The two organic apples I used would probably be equal to one standard granny smith apple, and I only used about 7oz of cranberries, if memory serves most cranberries are sold in 12oz bags. You could always use half a bag, or double the recipe......which I intend to do later this week. :)

This recipe works very well in a small dip style crock pot, but you can use anything. Watch your cook time, it will cook down and become an ugly tasty mess, but you don't want it to burn.


I used

7oz cranberries
2 apples washed and diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/16 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup water

Mix everything together in the crock pot and cook on low. All of the cranberries should burst and the dried fruit should plump. You can add more water if you need too. I cooked this for about two hours on low and then removed the lid for another hour of cooking. All crocks cook differently though, so I am hesitant to say exact cooking times.

You should totally make this. The chutney smelled wonderful cooking, and it's much better than a scented candle because you get to eat it afterwards......
you shouldn't eat scented candles.....
they taste a lot like wax......
and 409.....
this is totally better.
Also it's yummy on sandwiches. My husband thought so too, so you don't have to take the word of a girl who licks scented candles. You could even try it on top of an unmeatloaf!





*Sometimes I think I may have no social life because I'm a jerk, then I remember how awesome I am and realize that surely this isn't the case.

3 comments:

  1. The more i read about it the more i need to get a slow cooker. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow cookers are fantastic! I love mine...all three of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make more use of my slow cooker. This looks like a wondeful way with cranberries. I often buy store bought, maybe I should have a go at making my own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...