Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Egg Free Soy Free Sourdough English Muffins

Why haven't I ever made English muffins before?? And also important, why aren't you making them right now? Sometimes bad things in life (my son's egg and soy allergy) bring about fantastic things, like these muffins. I don't know that it will make up for a lifetime without Chinese food.....but it's a start. Not only do they avoid all of our collective allergens, but they are wicked tasty, and cook on a griddle. So unlike biscuits, there is no need to heat the whole house.

I modified the recipe from the "Sourdough English Muffin" recipe in this book.....I love this book. Not only are there tons of recipes for bread machines, there are tips on what to do with stale, leftover bread.

Unfortunately, since I got the recipe from a book....and....you know.... copyright laws and stuff, I didn't feel like it would be a good idea to post it on the interwebs. However, I will tell you the modifications I made, and you can either buy the book.....or modify another recipe that you already have.

All I did was use 1/4 cup canned pumpkin and 1tbs oil to replace the egg. Also I replaced half of the flour with whole wheat flour. These smelled great, tasted great, and went fast! They will be on our breakfast table this holiday season.

6 comments:

  1. My grand daughter will be staying the weekend with so we will be trying these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. I hope you two enjoy them. The kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am dying of curiosity. I tried an english muffin recipe and they were so-so, not great like I had anticipated. Do yours taste like pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it a sourdough english muffin recipe? I think that might have made these over the top. Of course I'm in love with anything that comes off of a griddle that you can slather with butter. I wouldn't say that they taste like pumpkin, but there's a hint of something in there that makes them super awesome with gravy made with sage. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen recipes for english muffins in my bread machine books but have been hesitant to try them out. Now that I see you've had success, I will have to go for it. Will have to make some jam, too! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I was hesitant too (I am not a great baker...ok or even really a good one). They really aren't that difficult to make. I hope you enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...