Thursday, July 29, 2010

Carrot and Lentil Salad

I am not going to lie, my daughter wouldn't touch this stuff. My son ate it up and asked for more...which I denied him, feeling he needed a more rounded diet than fiber and fiber. You see, I may not wear the pants in this family*, but I do change them. So until little man is potty trained I limit his consumption of lentils.

Well now, if all that potty talk wasn't enough to get you in the mood for this salad I just don't know what more I can say. This was light and refreshing with a hint of heat, and oh so good stuffed into a pita and drizzled with yogurt.

2 cloves pressed garlic
5 tbs vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp sugar
cayenne to taste
1 cup cooked lentils
6 chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves

Whisk together the first nine ingredients. Then stir in the carrots, lentils, and cilantro. Marinate overnight.

I am trying to build my repertoire of dishes to make on hot days. I think this chickpea and rice salad is still my favorite, but it's always nice to have variety. And of course serving cold dishes is a much better way to beat the heat than say, lying naked under a ceiling fan....which is only a really good option if you don't have kids....or roommates.

*I don't like pants. They are confining and that displeases me. I believe I have expressed this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...