Monday, July 26, 2010

Cool and Spicy Chickpea Tacos




Too hot to make tacos?? Never! This vegetarian taco filling is served cold. And when separated from the tortillas, it would make an excellent lunch to take to work as it doesn't need to be heated. And what would a taco be without fixins'. I filled mine with spring mix, avocado slices and freshly made salsa! YUM!
I also wanted to show you how this meal is easily turned into a lunch the next day for my kids. Chopped up chunks of cheese, avocado, sweet potatoes, and taco filling. Little man ate all this and a bowl of rice. Baby girl ate most of it....but insisted she didn't like "sweet tatatoes"...even though she had eaten them the night before. Thus is the way of a four year old.


Ingredients

2 cloves pressed garlic
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tbs sour cream
1tsp lemon juice
2 tbs taco seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 can El Pato tomato sauce (spicy or with jalapenos whatever floats your boat)
salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

1lb bag of chickpeas cooked according to package drained and cooled
tortillas and whatever you like to top your tacos with...onions, salsa, avocado, leafy greens, olives, sour cream....pickles? I'm not here to judge.

Whisk together the first nine ingredients.

Stir in the chickpeas, cilantro, and add the salt pepper, and cayenne to taste.

Fill taco shells as desired....easy peesy...peasy??....pesey?....

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I would so love this, the family would think I'm bonkers but that's just how it goes here. I just saw a recipe for chickpea sloppy joes yesterday, don't know where but they sounded awesome too. I'm pretty sure I could eat beans every day of the week. Actually, I'm pretty sure I have. For the last 3 days for lunch I've had a bean burgers cut up over lettuce with tomato and sour cream. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I don't know if I will ever tire of beans, they are so cheap and so versatile. I will have to try the black bean burger over salad, with sour cream. I bet it's the perfect lunch on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...