Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vegetarian Loco Moco


Loco Moco is a Hawaiian dish that usually consists of rice, a hamburger patty, gravy, and it is topped with a fried egg. I made this version with brown rice, my vegetarian breakfast patties, and vegetarian gravy....no egg.....no substitution for the egg....but it still tasted really good.

Creamy Vegetarian gravy

3tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
liquid smoke to taste

Melt the butter over medium low heat, and whisk in the flour and seasonings. Cook for about two minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste, then dump in the milk all at once while whisking. Cook until thick and bubbly (not boiling), whisking occasionally. Add more salt and liquid smoke to taste.

Onion gravy variation
This is the gravy I made last night. It has...hmmm...well lets just say "a texture" to it. :) Didn't bother me one bit (mostly because I love the taste of onions), but if you are a texture person and don't like the idea of lumps in your gravy, then this is not the recipe for you. I just caramelized some onions and blended them in my food processor with the milk. I reduced the butter, and flour to 2 tbs each, because the onion acts as a thickener. And I left out the garlic salt. Other than that the process to make it is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...