Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vegetarian Breakfast Patty (soy free)




I don't know how I feel about these. The hubster loved them, but to me the texture was off, and I think I will use more brown rice next time to get that chewy, hearty texture one expects from a breakfast patty.

What you need
1 onion
1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas
1 cup brown rice
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp sage divided
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt divided
1 cup breadcrumbs
olive oil for frying

Dice the onion and saute with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sage until golden brown. Add half of this mixture, along with the clove of garlic, black pepper, cream cheese, garlic salt, chickpeas, and 1/4 tsp sage to your food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into a bowl and stir in the brown rice, bread crumbs, the rest of the onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Shape this mixture into a log and refrigerate. Slice and pan fry when ready to eat.

This made a decent post workout snack, but there is room for improvement. I will let you know how it turns out in dinner. I'm making vegetarian Loco Moco.

6 comments:

  1. I love your idea of adding cream cheese to a veggie breakfast pattie! Mmmmm, with brown rice and chickpeas too... YUM! I'm sooo making these for brunch this weekend - I can't wait! Thank you for the gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. beans and brown rice are really healthy! You might like these bean recipes:

    http://www.vegrecipes4u.com/bean-recipes.html

    Here's an interesting recipe for brown rice salad:

    http://www.vegrceipes4u.com/brown-rice-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astra, I hope you enjoy it! I have enjoyed so many of your recipes in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veg gal, Those bean recipes look FANTASTIC! I am quite the fan of Indian food. Thanks for the link, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some odd reason we actually have cream cheese in our fridge and I needed a dinner idea for Thursday. This may just do it. I love your blog, by the way. I love it even more now that I'm officially following it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...