Monday, September 26, 2011

Sweet n' Spicy Chili with Blackened Onions


My husband says this is the best chili ever. Not the best vegan chili, or the best soy free chili,
but the...
best...
chili.......

...ever


My two year old says, "Mama can I has some more chiwi please." (He's unbearably cute and loves his chili). My daughter says, "can I just have beans and rice"......she's not a chili fan. I don't know about best chili ever, but this is a darn good recipe and you can certainly add (or subtract) things to adjust to your personal tastes. It's also easy to make, vegan, and soy free (check your ingredients carefully), and I've fed it to carnivores with good results. I topped mine with avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and cilantro, and I really wish I'd snapped a picture beforehand because it is a lovely chili. I guess you'll just have to make it to find out for yourself. :)

What you'll need

1tbs oil
2 onions sliced
3 cups cooked (seasoned to your liking) black beans
1 28oz can of baked beans
1/2 cup soy free BBQ sauce
2tbs plus 1tsp chili powder (divided)
1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste (optional)
cayenne, jalapenos, or other spices to taste

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions 1/4tsp of salt and 1tsp of the chili powder. Cook for 10-20 minutes stirring occasionally until desired doneness. I like them almost burnt, but you could lower the heat and go for a more caramelized (browning) effect. Now add the onions to a large pot and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Heat through. It's that simple. Add whatever toppings you like.



What are your favorite chili toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...